One of the primary departments of the Technological University (Hmawbi), the Department of Civil Engineering got ISO 9001:2008 certificate for Quality Management System Since 2015 and upgraded to ISO 9001:2015 version in 2018. Moreover, the department has been accredited provisionally by Myanmar Engineering Council, which is national accreditation body for engineering education. The department offers Six-year BE degree and two-year ME degree programs in which the main subjects are Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Water Resource Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Construction Engineering Management, and Transportation Engineering. The department has six fully functional laboratories: Building Material and construction laboratory, Environmental laboratory, Geotechnical Laboratory, Fluid Laboratory, Hydraulic Laboratory, and Workshop. There is an E-library which provides a wide range of electronic resources including online databases, full-text journal articles and indexes, e-books, newspapers, magazines, etc. The department has been organizing various programs to enhance University-Industry linkage through field visits, workshops, etc. The department has the ongoing research projects from private sector organizations. The department contributes to the interdisciplinary academic and research activity of the university.
- Able to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering fundamentals to the solution of complex civil engineering problems.
- Able to identify, formulate and solve complex civil engineering problems using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
- Able to design solutions for complex civil engineering problems to meet specified needs considering public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental requirements.
- Able to conduct investigation into complex problems using research based knowledge and appropriate research methods.
- Able to create, select and apply appropriate modern engineering tools necessary for complex civil engineering activities, with comprehension of the limitations.
- Able to apply reasoning informed by contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional civil engineering practice.
- Able to appraise the impact of professional civil engineer solutions in societal, environmental contexts and sustainability development.
- Able to apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of civil engineering practice.
- Able to communicate effectively on complex civil engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large.
- Able to function effectively as and individual and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary settings.
- Able to recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multi-disciplinary environments.
Programme Education Objectives (PEO)
The Department of Civil Engineering has established the following objectives:
- Produce graduates with broad based engineering sciences and fundamental of civil engineering to solve civil engineering problems and competencies in civil engineering design with creativity and innovation.
- Produce successful and productive engineers with skills in faithful, communication, management, teamwork and leadership to their relevant profession.
- Produce graduates who practices professional ethics with moral values in all areas of civil engineering and are committed to life-long learning.
PEO 1 - Technical Competence
PEO 2 - Communication Skills/ Leadership
PEO 3 - Professional Ethics/ Lifelong Learning